Friday, June 15, 2007

Guam Update

Wednesday I went with Andrew to his father’s property on the north side of the island. The property was amazing and a real privilege to visit. The snorkeling was a million times better than the snorkeling at Hanauma Bay – maybe because it is remote property instead of a Nature Reserve visited by millions yearly. The water was a lot deeper making it easier to swim around and the fish were bigger and I saw a giant clam for the first time.

After we snorkeled we just chilled and enjoyed the scenery. The property is thick with bamboo, palms and other foliage and it really has an ancient feeling to it. There are still latte stones around the properties which ancient Chamorro houses were built on some 500 years ago (sorry I didn’t get any pictures).

Wednesday was also John’s birthday, so we went to the Chamorro Village and grabbed some dinner. After that we went to Louis’s house (another Pohnpeian) to drink sakau. Sakau is a drink unique to Pohnpei. It is a mixture of grounded pepper root, water, and hibiscus. It looks like muddy water (which is essentially what it is) and tastes the same. The taste really reminded me of spinach, but, as Louis said, “you don’t drink for the taste, you drink for the feeling”. I didn’t get “the feeling” because first-timers rarely get it, but I was assured it will happen the next time I drink sakau. I am told it is similar to a marijuana high, but I will save my description until the next time I drink sakau.

On Thursday Mooka, grandma, and I got some pizza for dinner – my treat. The price of pizza is one vast difference between the continental United States. For one medium-three-topping-pizza plus two salad bars the cost was $40…yikes.

On Friday I just relaxed all day by the pool. It seems that there isn’t as much for me to do here. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Josh is gone. I’m not as proactive as far as going out and doing things because he is not around. It also doesn’t help that I don’t know about hikes or special beaches to visit. But on the flipside I have done more cultural-relevant activities (like visit the canoe-house, learn about Micronesia, learn Pohnpeian, etc). I am still having a great time; it is just a different change of pace.

I am excited to leave for Pohnpei on Sunday night! Kalangan for reading. Kasalehlia Justin.

1 comment:

Josh Thorington said...

keep having a great time man. You will have plenty of time to be bored when you are home and looking for a job! Keep updating. Will you have a lot of time to update in Pohnpei.

loves