Saturday, June 9, 2007

Hafa Adai!

Hello all. Well I haven't had much Internet access and I have to make this quick sorry. I should have a full update tomorrow or the next day. I landed safely and the flight was long...about 7 hours. I was put on the direct flight here because the other plane was grounded in Japan.


Guam is so beautiful, but very muggy. Apparently it is the dry time of the year and it is still really humid. Guam is more sprawled than O'ahu but probably just as Westernized. Yesterday I met with Dr. Larry Cunnigham who is the president of the Traditional Seafaring Society. He took me to a barbecue at the University of Guam and I met a lot of interesting people there. Most everyone there had spent some time on Pohnpei and had nothing but good things to say about it. There I met my former professor Vince Diaz's nephew Andrew. He took me from Larry and we went with his girlfriend to his comedy show (he does stand-up). After the show we went out on the town. It felt great to meet new people and people my own age. Andrew and I are going to hang out again soon.


Today I spent time at the Traditional Seafaring Society's utt (canoe house). I will go into further detail about this when I have more time. Just know that I am going out on their canoe Quest on Monday with Master Navigator Manny Sikau.


Sorry this is so brief. My next update will be in thorough detail and hopefully tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for reading. Justin


Picture: Rio, me, Andrew, Asia (Andrew's girlfriend).


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Justin, Glad you made it to Guam alright. This canoe stuff sounds interesting. Can't wait to read more about it. See Ya,Kurt

Anonymous said...

Way to represent Justin. Make sure the t-shirt is ironed for photo ops that are more usable for APIA. On a canoe, picking up garbage, passed out on the beach etc.

Damon