Saturday, June 16, 2007

Kasalehl Guam

Kasalehlia all. Well last night I drank sakau again. As I mentioned in a previous post, you don’t get “the feeling” the first time you drink. Well this time there was no doubt that I got the feeling. The feeling is a mix between being light-headed and drunk, but sans any discomfort or out-of-control feelings. It is relaxing in a way. My limbs felt heavy, but I felt happy (but not giddy happy). The feeling is really hard to explain and is probably best explained through experience. The problem is that sakau is unique to the Pacific. In fact, for a time sakau was only made on Pohnpei, but is now made here on Guam and in some other places like Samoa and Fiji (according to some fellow sakau-drinking-Pohnpeians last night).

Tonight we drank sakau straight from the rock which makes it much more potent. Instead of mixing batches we drank the first batch. While the sakau may be thicker and slimier it is much stronger. Unfortunately, my stomach wasn’t ready for the strong stuff. I was feeling good until we got in the car. It was a bumpy ride and I got sick.

Some other things to know about sakau (again according to fellow drinkers):
• You must close your eyes when drinking
• When you are done drinking sakau for the night you then drink at least a beer – this is known as kapobo (spelling?)
• At first the sakau numbs your tongue and upper throat


It is hard for me to sleep right now – probably the reason I am writing this tonight instead of tomorrow. I have insomnia right now because of a couple of people. I am praying for them - and I'm not really religious. I hope everything is okay and everything turns out to be okay. Just know I am thinking about you. Out of respect for both of them I won’t say any names – you know who you are.

I want to give a special thanks to a few people who have sort of taken me under their wings during my stay here. The first is Dr. Larry Cunningham. He is the president of the Traditional Seafaring Society. I thank you for allowing me to spend time with the TSS, taking me to the BBQ, and inviting me to your presentation. I appreciate that you were genuinely interested in making sure I had a great stay hear on Guam. Kalahngan and if there is anything I can do for the TSS on Pohnpei please let me know.

The next person I owe a thank you to is Andrew – my professor’s nephew. Thanks for teaching me about Chamorro culture, showing me around town and taking me to the property. Your standup was hilarious and I had a great time. Kalahngan.

1 comment:

Darcy Shippey said...

So wonderful to live through your stories! We all wish we could have come along! Have the best time of your life!

Love to you all!!! Kiniya mooka and john to!. (Tell mooka I still have her wallet and money and plan to mail one day...)

Aunt Darcy