Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Kuliouou and Sandy Beach

Another hike today. This time we hiked Kuliouou which is on a ridgeline in the Koolau Mountains. All of the hikes have been different so far. At first the hike earth-wormed its way up the mountains. Imagine walking in one direction, a sharp turn, and then walking back the direction you came from. The hike got progressively greener as we climbed higher and higher, and again we saw pine trees in the middle of Hawai’i. The only difference this time is that it was almost a whole forest of them. Once we passed through the pine tree section we started to hike along the ridgeline. Not much to see at first, but eventually there was this really cool knot of trees that reminded me of walls to a fortress and acted as a doorway to the next section of foliage. There were three point on the hike where we had to brush our shoes because the foliage was so different that the seeds and oils from the other plants and trees could destroy the next set.


We finally made it to the top in a little over an hour – a little less painless for Josh than me (I still hadn’t recovered from Olomana). The views from the top were by far the best yet. You could see both east and west sides of the island and I was able to locate some of the islands and beaches I’ve been to. It was also pretty sweet to see these clouds rush up the side of the mountain…an event not offered to me in the hills of Michigan. Anyways, Josh and I decided to run down the trail to get more of a workout in which caused us to lose the trail once or twice, but we were still able to make it down in about 20 minutes.

Next we headed for Sandy Beach. I’m guessing this beach wasn’t named for quality or quantity of sand it contained but rather for the sheer amount of sand found on and in every inch of your body. Let me explain…the surf, current and undertow at Sandy’s (as it is affectionately known by locals) is extremely strong – stronger than me ;) – so the waves are really big. This coupled with how close they break to shore makes for some really nasty, powerful shore break. This kicks out tons and tons of sand which navigates itself to every crevice of your body – no matter how covered. Actually the shore break is pretty violent; it has driven many people into the ground knocking them unconscious or stunning them – it almost drowned my aunt and grandma years ago. But if you are a strong swimmer and smart enough, you should be fine. The first time it hit me I got jacked up. The break twisted me in every direction and I was really disoriented, but I just held my breath and waited until I came to the top. The trick is to either dive into the break just before it crashes down on top of you or be far enough out to float through the wave before it breaks. Sandy Beach is a haven for boogie-boarders and body surfersers. I rode a few waves and got tossed around by even more. I thought it was a load of fun but I still feel like I am rocking in the wave as I write this 5 hours later.

Josh and I laid out on the beach and caught some sun. For some reason I am 5 shades darker than Josh and he is really trying to catch up – we are always competing I guess. My aunt isn’t as lucky. She has got a pretty bad heat rash so she has to be a vampire and stay out of the sun. She had to sit under an umbrella today and won’t be able to make our snorkeling trip tomorrow. Hopefully it will clear up soon because she leaves Sunday. Mahalo for reading. Be safe. Justin

P.S. Miss everyone back home.

P.S.S. Don’t be afraid to leave responses. I want to know who is reading J

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are having a great time. I try to read every day if I can so keep the pictures coming. Jeremy

Anonymous said...

I never learned to read so I need the pictures :)

vincediaz said...

kasalehl and aloha, justin (and josh),

enjoying the postings and the fotos immensely.

some musts;

Ono's Hawaiian Food on Kapahulu Avenue (on the freeway going towards diamond head take King St. exit and go all the way to Kapahulu avenue (beneath the free way), take a right (uh, go makai) on Kapahulu for about a mile or so. Ono's is on the right (Ewa side), across from a Taco Bell. Easiest to park on the Taco bell side but on the next street, past the gas station. I always get the combination plate. I've been to Ono's at least once a year since 1979. Seriously. I should have my foto up on the wall, which is my goal in life.

Waiola Shave ice. Best in town, I think. Waiola St. runs parallel to King Street towards Ewa side of University avenue. If you are coming from downtown honolulu, on King, easiest is to take a right (makai, again) on McCully Avenue, and then a go two or three short blocks and make a left (Diamond Head) on Waiola. Go about three or four blocks and Waiola Shave Ice is on the right. You can't miss it because there will be a throng. any flavor is good, but I like pineapple and li hing.

Manapua and Dim Sum from Manoa Marketplace. In Manoa Valley. Take university avenue past UH campus and into Manoa valley. veer right at the first intersection until you get to Manoa Marketplace. The Manapua factory is towards the back, before you get to Long's Drugs store.

Let me know when exactly you are going to Guam.

Vince

JSpence said...

Dusty, you should be a historian, I swear you have a history book out in front of you when you write these because you're always namedropping or giving historical accounts that seem to be legit, who knows, maybe you're making all that shit up to sound smart :)

Keep having fun... what's the plan with Micronesia?

afivenson said...

"The first time it hit me I got jacked up" lol nice

Love your pictures too. Fog is really hard to capture on film, since half of what makes it so cool is the transparent effect it has against the background, but when it's thick enough (like in your pic) it looks really good.

Anyway glad you're having an awesome time.

whitespace said...

Hey Justin, I read your blogs(what the ---- is a blog anyway?)everyday. I laughed when I read about the waves. It reminded me of Jeremy in N.C. when the waves kicked his ass. Remember he ended up in the fetal position on shore. He got up with his shorts around his ankles and he had that dazzed and confused look,not to mention a big ass scratch on his back. Man that was funny. You or Josh need to buy a hut on the beach while you are there and then the family can come to Hawaii also. I like the pictures also. Tell Josh and the hotties on the beach I said "Hi." Kurt

whitespace said...

Hey Bryce is a guy I work with that has a Gmail account, so I will post under his account. Kurt

Anonymous said...

This is awesome. Now I really want to get to Hawaii and see everything. You mom was kind enough to send this to me. I can live vicariously through you and Josh. Absorb all of it. Marcia that worked with your mom in Staff Dev. I can't wait to read the next post.

Alex said...

Ahhhh! Hawaii looks amazing. I am loving the pictures as well...makes me so jealous with regards to the weather! Do you know what you are doing afterwards?