Saturday, May 19, 2007

Waikiki

Josh and I had the day to ourselves. We went to meet with Dr. David Hanlon at the University of Hawai'i. He is the director of the Pacific Island Studies program - something I am heavily considering right now. He has spent years on Pohnpei (my island) and written many books (two of which he gave to me as a gift today). Anyways, we all talked for a while and he told me a little bit about U of H and the program. I really think I am going to apply there. I regret that I only joined the APIA Studies program during my senior year. The Pacific Island program at U of H will be a good way for me to continue studying something that is important to me. I still have a lot to look into, but I think U of H is a good option...



...Okay on to the fun stuff. We got directions to Waikiki and hit the road. Waikiki was always a place I imagined as "exotic" and as "paradise" which really isn't that far from the truth; Waikiki is beautiful. It is extremely tourist-laden which really isn't that bad; there is a lot of shopping, its clean, a ton of restaurants, and plenty of people (something I enjoyed). Josh and I staked out our spot on the beach and got settled in. There were so many people on the beach and in the water...by far the busiest place I have been to so far. There were surfers, swimmers, canoers, sailors and body boarders everywhere - not to mention the dozens of sunbathers. I really enjoyed the number of people on the beach (I'm a people-watcher).

The best part of the day was chasing this fish that was swimming near shore. Well I should say Josh chasing a fish that was swimming near shore. He chased it everywhere and dove in after it (although, by his own admittance, he was too scared to grab it). It was just funny to see Josh and this other kid chase this fish everywhere and see people's reaction as soon as they figured out that a two-foot fish was swimming inches from them. I must add that Josh was chasing this fish with a 7 year-old...Josh must be young at heart (or just immature - that's your judgment). Kidding.

Josh and I shopped around a bit and then grabbed some grub at a bar and grille named "Coconut Willy's". Nothing special, but I enjoyed the live music, the open-air seating and the company.

It is nice to spend some one-on-one time with Josh. I have a feeling that as we get older we will probably see each other less and less; jobs, wives, and career paths will almost undoubtedly send us in different directions, but I know we will still stay as close as ever. There is just this bond that can't be broken (that is of course until he finds out about that one night with me and his girlfriend Liz...oops). But really, it is a twin thing.

Mahalo for reading. Be safe. Justin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi brotherrr! I am so glad that you guys are enjoying your time out there! I miss you guys a lottttt! your blogs aren't too long I was just jokinnnnng with ya! I lovvvve you!
-Ashley

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,

How exciting! Call home some time would you?

-Mom

JSpence said...

U of Hawaii sounds like a pretty sweet program Dust, it seems like something you are really passionate about and I could see you really excelling in. Tell Josh I say hi, too!