Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Travel

My apologies to those living vicariously through me or to those who are reading my blog because they are genuinely interested in what it is I have been up to – it has been entirely too long since I have updated. The truth is there are only a few things to report on…

Sunday we hiked to Manoa Falls. This has been my favorite hike because of how beautiful it is. Unfortunately my camera was dead so I couldn’t take any pictures (I stole these from Josh), so instead I decided to hustle up the hike for a good workout. I was still able to enjoy the rocky stream and green vegetation that accompanied the hike, but I did however miss the Bachelor and his wife who I crossed paths with on the way up. I wouldn’t have recognized them anyways, but Josh knew who he was (although he denies watching the show and said he only knew because of Liz – right) and had asked if I saw him. It only took me 25 minutes or so to get to the end of that hike, but there was another trail that ran up to another lookout. This hike was a little more challenging and took about 45 minutes to reach the end of the trail. This second trail was interesting because you hike through two bamboo forests. The 20-30-foot bamboos almost create a wall because they line both sides of the trail. The bamboo was definitely my favorite part of this hike.

My aunt left Sunday night to return back to Denver. She was a great tour guide – mahalo
Aunt Jackie.

The only other thing to really report on is my travel plans after this. I booked airfare to Guam for June 6 and plan to stay there for 4 or 5 days. A man named Dr. Larry Cunningham will be speaking about traditional seafaring on June 8 and I am going to go check that out. My friend Vince has a few family members in Guam that I may meet up with, and of course I will be meeting up with my grandma. After that I will be flying to Pohnpei and will most likely be out there until late August.

To my family: I will miss you guys and be thinking of you guys while I am out there. I know that some of you may be a little uneasy about me traveling alone or in such an unfamiliar, far-away place, but I will be alright. I have a support network on both Guam and Pohnpei should I ever need advice, help or food ;). I will be in good hands wherever I go.

I hope you understand that this trip is something that is really important to me and has been a dream of mine for some time now. This is the perfect time for me to travel out there too; I don’t have a wife, kids, job, mortgage, or other such things that hinder my ability to travel. I am young and have the time to travel. I am taking this trip to learn about a part of my background, heritage and myself. I cherish and love all of you and I hope you understand that this trip is very important to me. I also hope that you understand that it is important for me to see other places in the world in order for me to learn different ideas, perspectives and attitudes other than the ones I am accustom to. Because of how sheltered Traverse City is, I really don't get much variety in lifestyle, opinions or attitudes. Really this trip is more about learning than having a good time. Anyways, I will call you all very soon.

Mahalo for reading. Aloha - Justin

(Josh is in red I'm in grey)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Juse!

Love You, Miss You, Happy for You!

Love,
Mom

Josh Thorington said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
afivenson said...

lol what did josh say?? haha

-adam

Anonymous said...

I think that it is great that you are doing all of this now. Don't feel like you have to appologize to people. They are only sad because of how much they love you and how important you are to them. That being said I am not one of them :))) Jeremy

Josh Thorington said...

who is the studly dude in the first picture?

JSpence said...

Dusty, congrats on getting yoru tickets all square away for Micronesia. I was really hoping that the trip would happen for you, given how involved you got with your APIA studies this past year. I don't know if I will see you for some time now though... I am moving out to San Francisco in mid-August. That sucks man, but you gotta do your thing and for that I am happy for you. Take care, broham.

- JBone