Thursday, July 19, 2007

PICS, Sokehs Rock, Enpein

Kajalel koros - Okay I am sorry it has been so long since my last post. My laptop is on its last leg and the charger is broken. I have wanted to wait to post until I fixed my computer so could upload some pictures, but it doesn't look like that will happen until I get home. So I'd like to apologize in advance - it doesn't look like I'll be able to upload MY pictures - sorry. I'll do my best to find pictures that capture what I saw.

I am going to fast forward to Friday the 13th because my time was pretty uneventful between my last update and the 13th. The only thing I can really say is that I went swimming in Awak (U municipality) and got extremely sun-burned. That is literally all I have to report.

Friday the 13th:

I woke up and walked out to PICS (Pohnpei Island Central School) High School - the high school my Grandpa taught at around 40 years ago. The size of PICS really surprised me. They have separate buildings for math, business, agriculture, etc. - a lot like Central High School before the renovations. The High School was a little worn, definitely could have used a paint job, but I imagine that the campus is beautiful during the school year. There is a stream and waterfall at the back of the campus and a few big trees that probably provide great shade for the students during lunch. The classrooms are average size and have fans, but I can't imagine how hot it must get in there when it is packed with students.

After taking pictures for my dad, I set off to find the house he grew up in. That was a pretty easy task because it was right across the street. I'm sure my Dad would appreciate it a lot more than I did because it is where he grew up and he could see what has changed and what has remained. I really wanted to go inside, but no one was home and wasn't in the mood for B&E, so I took pictures and left.

I walked up to some neighbors across the street to find out if they knew my family and they did. I visited with them for about an hour and then headed for the track and field complex just down the road. I had brought a soccer ball to kick around, but that didn't last long because I was exhausted from the long walk and the field and net were in bad shape. The field is comparable to the practice field used at Central High School (not a good base of comparison for those of you not familiar to TCC - sorry). The field and track are used for the Federated States of Micronesia Games. This may be a way to put things in some perspective: the field used for practice by my high school football team is equivalent to the field used for a nation-wide sporting event. It's understandable though. Sport here doesn't have the same meaning and importance it does back home. Here sport is something that is done on the occasion there is free time. It isn't something that many devote their lives to or even dream about. I must say though (if I haven't already) Pohnpeians are some great volleyball players. They don't let the fact that there is no beach here stop them - they play on concrete.

Friday night I saw "Live Free or Die Hard" at the local movie theater. It is the only one on the island and it has three screens. The three movies currently playing are: Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Live Free or Die Hard, and Evan Almighty.

Saturday July 14:
I went up to see if my friend Andy was around, but no luck. Instead I sat and talked to his younger cousin for a while. He was asking my thoughts about Pohnpei compared to America. He said, "It is safe here. Is it true that kids can't run around at night there (America)?". His sentiments are shared by many here; they think the U.S. is dangerous. I explained that it is dangerous in some places and safe in just as many, if not more. I think their only experience with the US is what they see on TV and movies. I always find it interesting to hear what people hear/think about the US. While I sometimes am not proud of the decisions our government makes and have made, I am proud to be an American and what it stands for. While I am also Pohnpeian/Mwoakillese and damn proud of it, I was still born and raised in America, and I have never been more aware of how American I am than now. I feel lucky to have the ability to be more than one thing.

Sunday July 15:
My cousin Stargel and I went up Sokehs Rock. Sokehs Rock is about 620 ft. high and served as a defense location for the Japanese during World War II. We didn't go to the part that butts-up with the Ocean because that apparently requires some serious climbing. Instead we drove up halfway and walked the rest of the way to a plateau where old Japanese guns and a radio tower are located.

The view from where you part the car is great. You can look East and see Kolonia and the things most visible from here are the Catholic Bell Tower, the softball field, Ohmine Drive, the huge satellite at the Telecommunications Center, and the airport/marina. From this spot you walk about ten minutes up to the plateau I mentioned. It was an easy hike up a stone-filled two track used only be trucks going to the radio tower. There were a few huge trees jutting out the side of the basaltic rock. At the plateau there is a metal-roofed hut to rest and picnic under and two huge WWII guns, but we continued further up to the radio tower. The walk was flat and took another 10 minutes. On the trail there was a small, natural taro patch. Taro leaves are so huge!


I'm not sure if there were once guns where the radio tower now sits, but there are still Japanese hideouts and caves there. There is a little plaque at the top that has something written in Japanese. The view is AMAZING. I got a great view of the North side of the island - including a different view of the rear of Sokehs Rock. It was so relaxing up there too. I just sat and looked out into the sun-reflecting, endless, blue Pacific. The reef was so easy to trace because of the continuous white of waves breaking on it. I think this was the first time I saw the NW coast. It isn't easy to see the water from Kolonia or Kitti because of the thick vegetation - it was refreshing to get this view. It was really the first time I noticed how high the island actually is. It isn't as tall as Hawai'i but it is still bigger than I'd imagined. The view gave me a unique view of the island - one you aren't able to get from the ground.

Next we headed back for the guns. The guns are enormous - I couldn't imagine hauling them all the way up the side of the mountain. I climbed around the guns and tried to imagine what they would have looked like when they were actually used. Each gun has two long barrels and a few shorter ones. It seemed as though they could rotate 360 degrees and the carrels could maybe move a full 90 degrees vertically. It probably took 3 or 4 men to operate these guns, but I'm not sure.

I went in one of the caves that was maybe 10 feet in length and shaped like an "L". The walls were made from the basalt rock, but it was too dark to see anything. There were a few tunnels that went about 8 feet down, but again it was too dark too go down.


I can't imagine what it would look or feel like to see gun/explosive yielding planes flying at you. This is partly because the vegetation has grown back thick, but it honestly made me appreciative and thankful for those who serve or have served in the Armed Forces.

Back at the truck, Stargel and I took in the view again. Here I really realized just how relaxing it was up there - the amazing view, no rush, and the only noise was the wind in the trees, birds chirping and the distant hum of a boat engine.

Monday the 16th - Thursday the 19th:
After getting a $5 haircut (and I got what I paid for ha) I headed out to Enpein in Kitti municipality. It is an even slower pace out there. Sometimes it is downright boring. Monday night I drank sakau again. I figured I won't get any opportunities to do it back home and I was in the mood. I can never sleep when I drink that stuff and I was up until about 5 am. I woke up the next day around 9 and a bunch of the kids and I went swimming all day. Then I played some basketball which was a lot of fun, but I was dead tired. Wednesday we went swimming again and today (Thursday) we came back to Koloinia. I was getting extremely bored because there isn't much to do out there. Everyone my age or older works all day and then relaxes or drinks the rest of the night. Today I was literally watching the grass grow. I enjoy my time out there, but I can't stay for too long.

I am planning to meet with some people about going out to go fishing. I really really want to go out on the ocean, but it is tough because gas is so expensive ($4.20/gallon). I met the founder of the Pohnpei Surfing Club today and I am going to see if he wants to take me out on the ocean. I can't surf, and it isn't the season anyways, but it would be nice to go out on the water. I am also planning on going to one of the close outer islands to swim and snorkel. It doesn't look like I'll get to go to Mwoakilloa this time. Menlau for reading. Justin

No comments: