Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sport, Picnic Island, Misko Beach

Kasalehlia Maigo. Last Friday I met the National Olympic Committee Chairman (Jim) for the Federated States of Micronesia. FSM currently has a world-class weightlifter from Yap State and has sent athletes to the last two Olympic Games! I also met with the new Secretary of Health (Bob) and both he & Jim want to help me to come back here and develop a sports program. There are recreational volleyball, basketball, and softball leagues, but that is about the extent of organized sport. The government doesn't pay any attention to sports and doesn't really see it as important. There aren't even PE classes in the school system (maybe a major reason why heart disease and diabetes are prevalent). They really think there is a need for some sort of sports & PE program to be set up from a recreational and health aspect. They both seemed genuinely interested in helping me with research grants and anything else that would help me set up a program. They seemed to have a ton of confidence in my abilities to do so. This could be because there is nothing, but it still felt good. It is something I'll have to think hard about, but it is comforting to know that I can find work and change somethings if I felt so compelled.

The following Monday was the type of day that I am really going to miss. We were staying in Enipein (Kitti) and we got up early to head out to a small picnic island at the very inside edge of the reef. There was about 15 of us and we boarded a small motorboat and weaved our way through the swamps of the tropical forest. This swamp was is the quintessential dark, mucky, swamp with the roots of the trees rising out of the mud that you see only in movies. It was fairly dark other than the beams of sun that made their way through trees. It was beautiful in a creepy sort of way.

After the swamp, the ride tot he island took only about 10 minutes. The island is very small - maybe 30 yards long, 15 yards wide. There is one house that had just been built for anyone who wishes to spend the night to stay in. Electricity is provided by a generator and freshwater is collected in a huge drum. There is a small hut to nap, eat, or just hide from the rain. The whole island is well shaded by the tall palm trees and an ocean breeze keeps you cool all day.

My day was spent in the water. I snorkeled, swam, and dove for hours. I have really changed my attitude about saltwater. I hated it until this trip. I've had so much fun in it. There is a reef about 20 yards out that I explored and saw tons of beautifully-colored fish. Unfortunately I missed two sharks (or the same shark twice). The little kids saw him both times and when I asked if they were afraid they shook their heads and looked at me like I was crazy. You never hear of any shark attacks here and no one is afraid of them. I want to see some more, but I'll be spooked.

For lunch we ate the rice and canned meet we brought and for dinner we ate the fish some of the men caught while diving off their outrigger. The men dump the speared fish off at shore and then help clean them. Most of them get gutted, but not all, and they don't fully scale them. They scrape the top layer of scales off the body, but don't bother with the head or tail because no one eats them. But they they leave the head and tail and you just sink your teeth into the body and eat the meat raw. It was actually pretty good with the lime/soy sauce they made. They cook some of the fish, but most prefer sashimi. I was so hungry I didn't feel like waiting.

In the evening, the men pounded sakau and then those who wished to drink sat in a circle and drank. I wasn't in the mood, so I went and sat at the edge of the island and just stared off waiting for the sun to set. It was that moment that I am going to miss the most. Completely in my own world, unaware of anything except my thoughts, and staring at pink clouds - the pink caused by the reflection of the sun off the ocean. It was another one of those peaceful and relaxing moments that are so hard to achieve back home.

We left just before the sunset I was waiting for, but it didn't really matter because the sun was lost behind a rain storm at the very edge of the horizon. When I got home I was exhausted and just relaxed and went to bed.

Last night I went to the movies again and say I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. It was actually really funny with a lot of funny cameos.

Today I walked to Miko Beach to swim and soak in the sun. It wasn't much of a beach. It was really hard-packed "sand". There are no naturally beaches here because the island is surrounded by mangrove, so all the "beaches" are really rocky. I was still able to lay down, soak some sun and swim. I grabbed some lunch at the restaurant and then went out to draw. I have found myself drawing a lot out here. I never really drew before, but I guess there are plenty of things to draw here. I drew some pictures of traditional houses, a palm tree, and Sokehs Rock. Maybe it will be a hobby I continue?

That's all I've really been up to. Leave some comments please. I want to know if there are more than 3 people reading this! Haha. Kalahngan. Justin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin-
I have been following your adventures in Micronesia since I stumbled upon your blog in May.

I was born and raised on Guam but left the Island for college, after which I decided to stay in the mainland. I live now in Los Angeles.

Wanted to say that I have enjoyed your adverture to explore the Pacific Islander half of your Identity.

Peace
Jim

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having fun out there. Have you been doing any fishing? Do you know when you are coming home yet? I am surprised my mom hasn't sent you information on the number of murders in your area yet to scare you into coming home. She means well. Take care. Jeremy Oh by the way, Sommer is preanant again. I am telling you before the rest of the family knows.

Anonymous said...

Kaselehlia!

*Udan lehl am sin inting eht!
[I enjoyd reading yur blog]
*Udan seh miss uk!
[We miss yooh]
*Iairom?
ke kelahl?
[How r yooh]
*Kenak kiyong aht ramow ong
ahm penenei!

haha...
i tryd to spell da words
correctlii!
if yooh need help reading
ask yur dad...or kimiya!
[don't worri i didn't
say anything mean...or did
i??] (^_^)
much luvv
~MOOKA~